Here’s a simple guide to help you install Android Package Files aka APK, as it is popularly known in the android circuit. Basically, they’re very similar to package applications. As you would see, many simple methods are provided below, so you take the luxury of choosing what you need.
Broadly speaking, the number of cool applications on tap in the market is where Android’s success lies in. Such an expansion of the Android market is happening simply because people are going gaga over third party applications. So, what are the ways to get these apps installed on Android phones?
The very simple means to install these applications would be via the online market.
- Copy the desired APK files you want installed on the memory card of your phone. Insert the memory card into the slot.
- Hit the Android market and look for apps that facilitate easy installation like app installer, fast installer etc.
- Open it up, and tap on Install.
- Once the app is installed, you’d come to see all of the APK files stored in the root directory.
- It’s just a click away. Yes, tap on the app you want installed. That’s all.
- Alternatively, you can search for any file manager app and browse for the APKs easily.
Are there some other ways? Hmm, yes! You could manually install APK apps developed using the very famous Android SDK if you don’t want to hit the Android market app on your phone. Here’s how you should be using the Android SDK
- Download and get the Android SDK installed on your PC. Perhaps you will need Android USB drivers that connect your phone to the SDK.
- In case you install apps from other external sources, go to Settings -> Application Settings and enable Unknown Sources. Moreover, you need to disable the USB storage by following this action Settings -> SD Card and Phone Storage -> Disable Use for USB Storage. Enable it later if you want to.
- Run the command prompt and key in: adb install path/file.apk
- ‘Path’ refers to actual path( full) to the APK files whereas ‘file’ stands for name of your application.
You’re done. Run the app and enjoy.